Moving iMovie's Target Folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iWright, Aug 15, 2009.

1. iWright macrumors member

I'm interested in doing more movie making but I've been told (and experienced) that movie making takes up a LOT of space so I'm planning on getting an external hard drive for iMovie and using the local drive for apps and the OS. I'm just wondering how to actually move the iMovie Target folder

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Save your project to the external. iMovie projects are saved as a bundle that includes all your media as well as the database file. Good luck with this one, in my experience with iMovie it viciously fights you trying to give it a dedicated scratch disk.

3. iWright thread starter macrumors member

Sorry this might be a bit of a stupid question but I'm new to the OS: How do I save my project exactly? I searched for it in help and it said it automatically updated the file so there was no need of saving

4. iWright thread starter macrumors member

ok looked into this: iMovie 09 apparently doesn't have a save feature- it does it automatically, so I was thinking, move the iMovie events folder and iMovie Projects folder to the hard drive?

5. Mycatisbigfoot macrumors regular

I will make a video how to as I use a fire wire drive to have my finished videos on it, i edit on my main drive tho