Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
I bought a new machine. If I move my entire home folder, will it save all my preferences like it does in FreeBSD? This includes, for example, my AdiumX logs because I know they are located in ~/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/Users/Default/Logs/[account]

Also, if true, what do I need to do when I connect to that server. Just go to /Users and move the users home folder?

Thanks!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Just use the /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant.app... that's what it's for.

EDIT: Damnit.. see what happens when you open as a tab and then don't respond for a while? You get beat. :)

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
It tells me I have to do it in firewire?

Also, can I pick what I want to move and what I want to stay?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
cmm said:
It tells me I have to do it in firewire?

Also, can I pick what I want to move and what I want to stay?
You'll have to use FireWire. (Hopefully this is between Macs.) You can pick to just import your user folder, account, and settings. You can additionally transfer applications. It'll check which version is more recent and not transfer an older version of it. You don't have to transfer applications though. In my opinion it's just better to move your home directory and start from there.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Well, I don't have a firewire wire. I thought I could do this with my network 10/100 cables. :/

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
cmm said:
Well, I don't have a firewire wire. I thought I could do this with my network 10/100 cables. :/
You can use a ethernet cable as well between the Macs. It just won't be a nice automated process.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
By connecting in finder to another machine and transfering the home folder? If I did get a firewire cable, would I have to reenter registration numbers for apps with the migration assistant?

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
yellow said:
The firewire wire (as you called it) is pretty inexpensive and definitely worth the money you spend on it.
Yeah, I thought they were 30+. My local staples store has one for ten bucks; I'll just get that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.