Moving info from one HD to another....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by staticliner, Nov 10, 2007.

1. staticliner macrumors newbie

I'm a newbie and I just had a quick question. I've searched the forums so hopefully this isn't a duplicate thread.

I have a 15" Powerbook running 10.5 Leopard and when I was in replacing a blower I decided that it would be a great time to replace the HD. I went to BestBuy and picked up a 120 GB and I'm planning on replacing after work. At the same time I picked up a 2.5" enclosure so that I could transfer from one to another.

What's the best way to transfer from one to another and what are some things that I should watch out for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Having done the same thing myself several times, fit the new HD into the external enclosure to start off with. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your whole hard drive over to the external.

If the external housing is bootable, then boot from it and make sure everything works (it'll be a bit slow, but usable)

Now remove the new drive from the external housing and fit to your computer. Boot the machine and make sure everything works. Fit your old drive into the housing, but don't re-format it for a couple of days just to make sure everything made it through the cloning process.

Nice easy process and generally very safe as you don't alter the contents of your existing hard drive until you know for sure that everything has been copied over.

3. staticliner thread starter macrumors newbie

When I install the new drive will it read the capacity as 80 or the capacity of the new drive?

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

it will read the newer capicity. which i think the 120gb will read around 112gb of actual usable storage.

5. staticliner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response... I'm cloning as we speak... I'll let you know how it goes...