Moving iPad to different syncing computer - old one died

Discussion in 'iPad' started by netdog, Jul 21, 2010.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

My Mac notebook that I was syncing my iPad to has died.

How can I move my iPad to my Mac Pro for syncing without losing what is on the iPad? Obviously there are not just videos/pics/music, but also applications.

Help!

2. wyneken macrumors regular

I'm not sure whether this is possible.

You can save documents by emailing them to yourself, or via Dropbox or something like that.

You'll be able to download the apps again (at no further cost) by logging into the App Store with the same account name.

The main thing you'll lose will be settings and of course the time to reconfigure everything. It's still a bummer but not an unmitigated disaster.

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I've never seen re-download available.

Maybe you mean from the iPad rather than from the computer?

Wondering about Amazon and iTunes books too.

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

It is more than setting that you lose, you lose the data that Apple has forced to be stored in the app itself. Its the big problem with "restore and set up as new" advice the Genius bar loves to spew if the app hasn't taken the time to make a way to export/import the data outside of iTunes, you lose it.

Apple has done us no favors in this area.

OP, is there any chance the hard drive is alive and you can get your backup off of it? Not that I have had the guts to try this myself....

Hopefully there is an acceptable solution out there.

I know there is the "transfer purchases" option, but i can't determine if that transfers the app data either.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

You will click on buy, and then it will determine you have already bought the app and not charge you again.

Supposedly. You can get itunes to reset all your purchases ONCE to be redownloadable.

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

If you are not currently using you mac pro to sync any device you can just copy over the iTunes folder (in music).

But if the HDD is dead, try just plugging your iPad in your mac pro. Hopefully your iTunes will give your the option of copying files over. Do a reset warnings under your iTunes preference first.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Make sure the iTunes account on the new computer is set up the same as the old. Make sure your new computer is authorized too.

Now everything that was purchased on your account that is on your ipad 'should' copy onto your new computer when first synced.

8. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I have two accounts on my Mac Pro -- my US account and my UK account.

Does that affect how I do it? I have apps from both stores.

9. alex1913 macrumors member

alex1913

If your connected to the same account...

You should be able to transfer all your stuff, and redownload it from iTunes. Stuff only on your iPad can be emailed, or through applications, you can access you files like your iPad is a hardrive (just do a Google search for it).

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

If everything was bought via iTunes then hook up to new computer. Make sure it's authorized. Then right click on your device and hit Transfer Purchases. Hope that helps!

11. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

To make sure iTunes copies everything over from you iPad. Go to iTunes Preference - Advance - Reset Warnings. This will make sure iTunes asks you whether you wish to "transfer purchases" (meaning copying files over) from your iPad.

12. melman101 macrumors 68030

You can also do it manually as I stated above. Right click on Device in iTunes and hit Transfer Purchases.

13. jeff26 macrumors newbie

useless. Why would you even reply if you can't help?

its frustrating when looking for answers to technical problems when people who dont have anything useful to say reply anyway. Can i suggest in future you dont reply unless you have answers?

14. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Before you spout off a snarky reply, try checking the date. You just bumped a thread from one year ago.

:rolleyes:

15. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Do you not have a backup of your computer? Memory is cheap, and you'd have all you need.