Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buttonz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2010
hi there :) . i finally got myself a MacBook Pro and i LOVE IT! anyway to get to my question. My iPhone was synced with my PC so all my apps contacts and music are all on my PC, but now i've got my MacBook i want to start syncing it with that instead. I see a way to do it on YouTube were you move the iTunes Music Library.xml and the iTunes Music Library files from one to the other (Old PC to New PC/Old Mac to New Mac) so that the phone thinks its syncing to the same computer IIRC? but i don't think it works from PC to Mac? because the iTunes Music Library file on the PC is a .ITL file but on the mac it isn't? i've tried changing the file name to just iTunes Music Library (instead of iTunes Music Library.itl) but it doesn't work? so i just wanted to know if there was a way of doing it? sorry if i went on a bit but just wanted to make sure i got across what i need help with lol :confused:

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
the big issue is the file location of the music will not be the same as on a pc so exporting the library to xml won't really work, quickest way I found for me was to grab all my music/apps/movies/pics in my library bung that onto a hard drive, and copy all the music/apps/movies/pics to music/itunes/itunes media/Automatically Add to iTunes then launch iTunes to have all your music and apps auto added to itunes and make your playlists again.

easy way to make playlists on mac I found for an album was to highlight all the tracks from one album then drag to the left under playlist and it will auto name the playlist as artist - album.

anyway this is just what I found as the easiest way when moving from pc to mac, you will need to then tell iTunes to sync what you want and it will iwpe the iPhone and sync the new data over because it's a new library.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
apps, contacts, ect synced fine for me two years ago when i made the switch.

for music just use itunes home sharing function to transfer it all over.

buttonz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2010
apps, contacts, ect synced fine for me two years ago when i made the switch

so you didn't lose your contacts when you synced? That's all I'm really worried about. I might just write them all down the sync it and see what happens. Cheers for the help people

phrint

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Ohio
so you didn't lose your contacts when you synced? That's all I'm really worried about. I might just write them all down the sync it and see what happens. Cheers for the help people

You should not lose your contacts. When you sync for the first time it will add all of your contacts to your address book. There may be a message that pops-up asking you if you want to sync your contacts to your address book. Click "Yes" and everything should be good to go.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
you should be fine cause if you do not tell iTunes to sync contacts then you wont lose them off your phone. Saying that I chose to sync my contacts with google via iTunes and it kept my contacts intact on my phone and copied them to google.

Same goes for all your content, unless you tell iTunes to sync something nothing will be effected on your phone. If you copy your media and apps over first you will not lose any media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.