Moving iPhone from Switzerland to USA

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by whiteshadoww, Jan 27, 2009.

1. whiteshadoww macrumors 6502

My legal iPhone purchased in Switzerland is locked to a Swisscom SIM card for another 18 months. Since I'll be moving to the States tomorrow, can I continue to use my present iPhone but with an AT&T SIM card? I would also prefer not to do a software unlock. Thanks.

2. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I'm going to predict that the answer is that you won't just be able to use an AT&T SIM in you Swiss phone. I base this on my experience going the other way - I couldn't use European SIMs to run my US iPhone while traveling.

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

You can buy the AT&T SIM card and service/data plan once you get here and you will have to cancel the Swisscom service. There will probably be a termination fee. Here, AT&T's termination fee is about $170. Then you can use your AT&T SIM almost anywhere in the world!

David

4. whiteshadoww thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I had no problem terminating my Swisscom contract but the phone is still locked for a Swisscom SIM card.

A person at AT&T put in an AT&T SIM card but the phone did not work with it.

I think an option is a parallel SIM card but I have no idea if they work with the 2.2 firmware.

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I have not tried a parallel SIM card before, let alone on iPhone OS v2.2, but see no reason why it wouldn't work.

David

6. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

if you do a jailbreak/unlock it'll work with a legit AT&T iphone plan. I think, anyway.

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Ya, you may have to unlock since it was originally a Swisscom phone.

David

8. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

You'll have to use a software unlock to get service.

I'd also recommend going with T-Mobile if they cover the area you'll be in. They're often significantly cheaper than AT&T, and they won't force you to use a specific set of plans just because you have an iPhone. Plus, T-Mobile didn't cooperate with the NSA's efforts to perform warrantless surveillance of millions of US citizens.

9. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

This scares me, please explain.

David :-/