Moving iphone to a new macbook...help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rbf1138, Mar 21, 2011.

1. rbf1138, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

rbf1138 macrumors 6502

Just got a new MBP, switching from a 2009 MBP. On a Verizon iphone. I've synced it with the new MBP, but when I right click songs, I just get "play" or "get info" and when I right click podcasts no menu pops up at all. Seems I have to check to manually manage stuff...but, that tells me I need to erase and sync with my new MBP. Will this erase my contacts/messages/settings? I'm jailbroken, btw. How do I ensure I don't lose all of my stuff? How do I transfer my iphone to this new macbook without having to re-do my entire phone?

Thanks so much!

2. Nessaj macrumors newbie

Nessaj

I suggest moving your entire itunes library from your old MBP to the new one.
    Generally you can't transfer songs from iPhone to MBP except for those purchased from itunes store.
    But dont worry about your contacts/settings/messages. They won't disappear unless you restore your device.
    If you insist transferring from iPhone, your music is in /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music/ and they are all renamed. Use third-party software to get them (i-funbox, etc.).

3. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I suggest getting PhoneView. I didn't jailbreak, but I think it works with it.