Moving iPhone to Mac

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by calumn, Aug 14, 2010.

1. calumn macrumors newbie

Hey

I would appreciate some help, I am pretty good with computers and stuff but this is getting a bit annoying.

Basically I used to have a Windows 7 computer that I had my iphone 3gs synced to. I got my new macbook pro yesterday and I want to move everything like itunes and my iphone over there.

So I copied my whole music folder which took most of the day over the network (80gb ish) and have imported it into itunes.

Stupidly I forgot about everything else - so I have no synced my iphone so it no longer has any apps, emails, contacts, text messages, anything.

Is there a way I can move all of this other stuff to my macbook and then sync it again?

I have a backup of my iphone from the 8th of August on my windows computer, would it be possible to move this all over as well and then just restore the backup from my mac?

Thanks
    Calum

2. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

Your best bet is going to be to restore from that backup on the windows PC itself and then sync it to your macbook. I'm assuming the windows PC is inaccessible right now.

If you want to try to transfer your backups though you need to go to this folder: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup... and copy all the folders there and paste them in~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ and see if a restore from backup works.

3. calumn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, the windows PC is still accessible - it is just my old desktop at home, but I have my macbook for uni now so I want to keep all my stuff on it.

I copied the folders but it didn't seem to work, but backing up from the desktop worked perfectly - I now have all my contacts, texts, emails etc. back

It then managed to sync fine with my macbook - I never tried this before since I assumed the backup feature would make it resync with the windows computer.

I just need to move my apps now, which seems easy to do and can wait until tomorrow.

Thanks for your help