Moving iPhone to new PC

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by digitaldave, Jun 4, 2011.

1. digitaldave macrumors regular

digitaldave

My friend has an iPhone 3GS that is currently run from her work's laptop, with the twist that the music library is on an external drive. I'm going to build a new PC for her, and the aim is to have the iPhone run from that instead. So we need to move all the data across.

So, what's the best way to move all the iPhone data across to the new PC so that the iPhone isn't wiped when I plug it in to the new PC? I'm not familiar with how the PC version of iTunes stores all the data, so I need to know what's where.

Thanks,

Dave.

2. WilsonL macrumors newbie

WilsonL

Just try backing up everything on the phone using iTunes and then put the backup into a external drive and then put it in the new computer..

3. digitaldave thread starter macrumors regular

digitaldave

4. digitaldave thread starter macrumors regular

digitaldave

Does anyone have any additional information about doing this? For example, what are the file locations? I believe the original PC is Windows XP; the new one will be Windows 7. Is it really as simple as just copying the backup over and doing a restore? Or do I need to do additional or different steps?

Thanks,

Dave.