Moving iPhoto from Mac to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KettyKrueger, Mar 25, 2012.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing an iPad and selling my Air. I've had iPads in the past and always got frustrated by the fact that it never met my expectations with photo organisation. (expectations too high?)

Now we have iPhoto iOS, I'm curious to know if I can replace my Air again.

My iPhoto library is 69GB but that includes home movies. The photos is much smaller than that and I think I can fit all my photos on a 32GB iPad. So that leaves my home movies. What could I do with them? Cloud storage?

Thanks in advance.

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

You could put your photos in iCloud with photo stream and have them automatically pushed to the iOS iPhoto. the movies though, that's another story.

3. iMule macrumors 6502

Same here. As far as I know, there's no practical way to do so. PhotoStream is decent, but it's not a full fledged photo-organization thing. I want iPhoto for Mac to be completely replaced by my iPad. I hate having to get on the Mac just to organize my pics. I was thinking about using that camera connection kid and uploading to iPhoto with my iPhone.

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Photostream only keeps up to 1000 photos for up to 30 days.

5. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Yeah - plus, aren't photos 'optimised' in the photo stream i.e. not kept a full res?

6. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Yes, it keeps them for the last 30 days but you can save them if you want to your computer.

7. iMule macrumors 6502

I wish Apple would do photos in the cloud. I'd pay for the extra storage. Right now, I'm not PC-free due to photo management. I'd much rather have every single photo I've ever taken on my iPad. I'm not too big into Flickr or Photobucket. I like a simple interface like the photo app.

I guarantee Apple has something coming. Photo stream is ok, but only good for seeing recent pictures.

8. Leslie Tan macrumors member

iPhoto from iOS cant replace the Air iPhoto from OSX. They are similar but different such as the iOS version only supports up to 14MP approx of your photo megapixel quality. If you have a camera say 16MP it will downsample to 14MP on your iPhoto iPad. Means you lose some image quality over there.

If your camera/DSLR does not have more than 14MP, than that is fine. But you never know in the future, your new camera may have more than 14MP.

9. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

iPhoto for the iPad supports under 19MP. You can use the iPad for most of the iPhoto functions and it's a pretty good port. Videos would probably be better off in Vimeo or Youtube privatized. If I was a normal consumer, the iPad iPhoto app would probably do everything I need it to do. The iCloud account could also store 5GB of data so you could send your photos to iCloud storage. If you really need more storage for photos or files, you can probably purchase some webspace and then use FTPOnTheGo and just pop stuff from your iPad to the webspace. Pretty easy.

10. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

I'm an old MobileMe subscriber so I've got 20GB+ storage on iCloud so that would be handy! How do I send photos and videos to icloud?

11. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

In addition to this, it would be great to not have to buy a Mini to go with the iPad (for storage of my music mainly - and photo storage).

Is there a way to use some additional storage for things I don't want to keep on my iPad? Maybe online storage, maybe a wireless hard drive? I have a Time Capsule, wonder if that would top the trick?

Thanks

12. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

iCloud has the photostream where you can actually deposit photos and video once you've imported into iPhoto on a Mac. It will keep the data up on photostream. I was however mistaken that it would store the photos. It used to have the ability to store the photos back in the day. Solution now would probably be to go FTP, Flickr, or any photo storage website. I personally use FTP, Flickr, and also a huge RAID store for my photos. I do put stuff on photostream if I need it but it looks like the limit is about 1000 photos up on there right now. If you're not using a Mac or PC, I would highly suggest a Flickr account since it's like $25 per year and you'll have unlimited storage which iPhoto on iOS can sync photos over to.

13. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Thanks for that, very helpful. I just checked Flikr but I don't think it's going to be very suitable as video uploads are limited to 90 secs (or 500MB) per clip. Even with a Pro account.

That said, FTP looks promising. I just checked out Go Daddy, and they have a 150GB plan which should be plenty and got me thinking about getting more and sticking my entire music collection on there!!

Would that be possible? Also, which FTP is best to use?

14. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Ah yeah, I use Godaddy for informal storage.

Flickr is good for photos but not a good place to put videos which is why I mentioned Youtube or Vimeo for cloud storage.

Regarding FTP, I use FTPOnTheGo which will tap into the photo storage on the iPad. You can then upload at will directly via FTP. If you get a Godaddy account with wordpress, you can download a gallery theme for wordpress and use the wordpress app to upload photos, create your blog, and also show off your galleries all at once. Pretty neat.

For uploading videos, vimeo has pro service for $199 per year for a pro account but Youtube and Vimeo is normally free. Vimeo has a 500MB per week limit upload.

15. elmo151 Guest

I do like the guarantee:eek: