Moving iPhoto to external drive - CRAZY SLOW

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theanimala, Mar 20, 2009.

1. theanimala macrumors 6502

I have a 60GB iPhoto 08 library that I want to move from my internal iMac drive to my iomega 1TB NAS drive. Both the NAS and the iMac are connected via Gigabit ethernet. I have dragged a ton of files, namely my Itunes database, and it flew threw very quickly. But copying my iPhoto database, and pasting it to the NAS drive, it is crazy slow. 60 minutes later and it just finished it's first Gig. It says I have about 61 hours remaining to copy the remaining 59GB.

iPhoto is closed, and there is not much else going on with the machine. Even while this is copying I can drag and drop lots of other files and they fly through the network. Is this what I should expect?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

NAS are known to be CRAZY SLOW for file transers, because they are essentially a mini computer with a 50hmz processor (or something like that).

It's not the machine. It's the NAS.

3. theanimala thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I know NAS's are not the fastest, but as I mentioned above I can copy other files, large and small, and 1GB copies over in a few minutes, vs an hour to copy 1GB of the iPhoto library.

4. theanimala thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure what's going on, but the performance has jumped up quite a bit. 15.5GB copied so far and it says 6 hours to complete the remaining 45GB. Istat pro is now saying my outbound ethernet traffic is 10MB to 12MB/s, much faster then the 500Kb I was originally getting.

I figured I post this update in case anyone searches this topic in the future.