moving iPhotos from time machine to new macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by barnsley7, Dec 19, 2014.

1. barnsley7 macrumors newbie

my old macbook has just died (won't restore at all, but that's another issue).

Anyway, luckily I have an external hard drive (Time Machine) so I figured I would restore my files from the Time Machine to my new (used/pre-owned actually) macBook.

I can see my music in iTunes and other data, which I have restored successfully. However, the most important data is PHOTOS of course!

But I just can't find where my photos are located.

I've checked Macintosh HD >> My Pictures, but they are not there.

I thought my Time Machine was set to back up everything. It has backed up my Applications (including iPhoto). I thought if I tried copying this to my Applications and opening this version, it might work but it didn't.

Any ideas please?

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You must restore your "iPhoto Library".

Default location : ~/Pictures

3. barnsley7 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks,
    the old macbook is quite old (2005/6 isn) and I believe the default there was My Pictures, but I have tried both locations and the photos are not there - that is, except for a few from 2009-11. but nothing for 2012, 2013 and 2014. The vast majority are missing.
    Maybe it was backing em up there and the location got moved, I don't know.

----------

actually, I've just found an iPhoto library doc and its copying a few gig over now.
    fingers crossed this might be it!!

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You might need to point iPhoto to that iPhoto Library : hold the Option key depressed while launching iPhoto --> select the iPhoto Library.

5. barnsley7 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, it's working now thanks.
    found and copied the iPhoto library file and then updated it to latest version.