Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stallion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
Waveland, MS
Ok, I would search on this if I could figure out the correct search phrase, but for some reason I can't. I just bought my first iBook. This comes after my house (and windows computer) were trashed after Katrina (I live in Waveland, MS, btw). I did bring my iPod with me when we evacuated, but now I have an iPod full of songs, and I don't know how to get them onto my new iBook. I've heard of software that allows you to get direct access to the songs, but I don't have a clue what its called, and I can't afford to buy software right now (the iBook was a necessity/luxury). So is there a freebie out there? Or is there a way to do it without additional software that I just don't know about? I don't know of any way to do it on Windows, so I sure don't know how to do it on a Mac. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
When you enable disk use in iTunes, the iPod will mount as a disk drive.

A Mac will not show the music files from the GUI (don't know if Windows will), but they are visible from the command line. There will be several directories full of numbered files. They are your songs (you can recognize them because they will have their proper .mp3, .m4a, etc. file extensions). Copy these all to your computer's hard drive. Then import them into iTunes.

iTunes should accept them just fine. It should be able to get the title/artist/etc. info from the ID3 tags. If you have iTunes configured to manage your music and copy imported files to the iTunes library, they should all be moved and renamed as appropriate.

If any of your songs are from iTMS, you will have to authorize the new computer with your account/password information. If you have used up your authorizations, de-authoruize another computer or contact Apple (if de-authorization is impossible, perhaps due to the computer being flooded and destroyed.)

(Of course, this procedure only recovers the songs, not playlists or iTunes meta-data. The iPodRip program cited by iGary is supposed to recover that.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.