Moving it all across to a new mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jamesl94, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

Hey guys, just sold my macbook. (sold it so i can get the new pro on the college scheme, works out I only have t pay £20, and I get a free ipod through rebate!:eek:)

I have quite a few songs and I want to transfer them to my new macbook when I get it. Do I just upload them all onto my ipod, and upload them on my new macbook and log in?

Also, what things will I need to do to put my macbook back to standard setting so the next person doesnt get my details?

Anything else I need to do but havnt thought about?

James

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

You can transfer songs back from an iPod using Senuti (I think it's called that), so that could work.

Also, you will need the system restore disks. Just reinstall Leopard (or whatever operating system you are using) and select Erase and Install option. :) Try deactivating any software on there first, eg Photoshop or your iTunes songs or whatever.

Enjoy your new Macbook (pro)! :D

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I'd buy an external HD and back everything up to it. Next I'd drop an OS X disc intothe old MB and do an "Erase and Install.". This will get rid of everything that you have on the MacBook. When you get your new computer, just bring the stuff that you backed up over to it.

4. Jamesl94 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies guys! Although, being 15, and not job, I can only just afford the money that I will have to pay extra, so a external HD is out of the questions!

James

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

No problem :)

6. wkb12345 macrumors newbie

Using Senuti to transfer music from old Ipod to a new Imac with an Itunes library

I have a new imac. I have an old ipod. I purchased Senuti. I want to put all of the music from the old ipod onto the new imac. The problem I am having is that I have already installed many of the songs from my old ipod onto my new imac by way of having used an external harddrive that i saved some of the music from my old PC onto. I did not save all of the music from my old PC onto the external harddrive though before it crashed and is fried now. I bought Senuti and started to use it and I put my old ipod into disc mode and connected it to my imac and it mentioned that there is already an itunes library on the imac. If I synced it said it would erase all of the music on the old ipod. What do I need to do? Do I need to just erase all itunes library and start from scratch? How do I go about doing that then?