Moving iTunes content

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dude963841, Jul 9, 2008.

1. dude963841 macrumors member

am getting a new vista of and want to transfer my music from a xp computer, I KNOW WHERE TO PUT IT AND IT IS ALREADY BACKED UP ON A EXTERNAL DRIVE, but will my same playlists be there, so my iPod touch will continue to sync with the same playlists. ( yes I know I'm getting vista... I still can't afford a mac but I want one sooooo badly)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you copy the entire iTunes folder, then yes, everything should still be there. Although, for some reason, I dont think the play counts transfer.

3. dude963841 thread starter macrumors member

So my iPod will regularly sync, no content will be erased?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It should. Since the computer changed, it may need to reset and resync everything - which will take a while, just make sure you arent in a hurry.

5. dude963841 thread starter macrumors member

thanks everone is very helpful! :)

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not a problem. Be sure to deauthorize your old computer before you are done with it.

7. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've moved from computer to computer and usually just copy my entire iTunes folder from one to the other.
    I've tried so many different ways, but I think thats the best.
    One time, I accidentally doubled my entire library though... I think I must've pasted the album twice or something... who knows.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You have to be sure to move the entire folder, including all the .xml files, since those are actually the library.