Moving iTunes from Mac to PC...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by conor ordan, Aug 31, 2010.

1. conor ordan macrumors member

I just bought a new gaming rig to replace my Macbook as my primary computer. It will be running Windows 7 and I was wondering if anybody has any experience or even a tutorial for moving my iTunes library on my Mac over to the PC. All the tutorials I found only work for moving from PC to Mac or for much older versions of iTunes (9 being the current one)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The old tutorials should still work. Assuming your library is consolidated (if it isn't, this is easy to fix from within iTunes), copy the entire iTunes Music folder (which is where your iTunes database lives, along with all your music) using the method of your choosing - an external disk, networking, whatever - and put it in the Music folder on Windows 7. Launch iTunes. It'll recognize you have a Mac library and update it automatically.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

simply copy /Users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Music to an external drive, then add them to the windows machine.

make sure to have "keep itunes media folder organizer" and
    copy files to itunes media folder when adding to library" checked on the windows machine.