Moving iTunes from Windows to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by darreng1983, Jun 15, 2012.

1. darreng1983 macrumors newbie

Hey, first post :)

Finally took the plunge and bought a MBP but having issues migrating my iTunes data.

At the moment on Windows, I've got the library etc on drive C: and all the media on D:/Media/MP3s. All the filenames are in the format of Artist - Song Title.

I've managed to find guides on how to transfer all this over by consolidating the library, however doing it this way causes all the filenames to be re-written in the iTunes format i.e. Artist - Album - Track etc.

My question is, is it possible to transfer all this over, using my original filenames and also retaining the playlists etc in iTunes?

Fingers crossed! Thanks

2. darreng1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone?

I'm guessing I'm going to have to get iTunes to rename all my music or just start making playlists again from scratch (which isn't really an option after all lol).

3. dakwar macrumors 6502

Have you tried the guide here? Sorry, that's all I can suggest. And from the looks of it, you'll be able to keep your playlists but your directory structure will be renamed/rearranged. Its not such a bad thing to let iTunes deal with the directory structure and naming and us, the user, just deal with the one iTunes window.