Moving iTunes library from iMac to Win 7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kanunu, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Kanunu macrumors 6502

Sorry if this has been covered but I am getting a message that search is disabled.:confused:

Is it possible to port my iTunes library from my iMac to iTunes on a Windows 7 laptop? I have a library of over 1700 "songs" but they are mostly all instructional tracks for teaching English. I presently sync these to an iPod for use in school but I am taking my laptop to school too and it would be convenient to have the audio tracks on and only carry the laptop. I also have over 1000 podcasts, again almost all instructional, and having these on the laptop would make it possible for me to use them at school.

Is there a way I can do this just by copying files or will I have to reload every CD on to the laptop? I have NTSF for Mac and can format a USB external drive to NTSF so that the laptop can read it.

2. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

You should be able to take the whole iTunes-folder from your Users/yourname/Music - and put this inside your Music-folder on your Windows 7 machine.

Then on Windows point iTunes to that folder. Although I believe iTunes pr. default already puts an iTunes-folder in the Music-folder on Windows. You can replace this with the one from OS X.

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

You can still search the site using Google or DuckDuckGo by adding

Code:
    site:forums.macrumors.com 
    to your query.

4. Kanunu thread starter macrumors 6502

I some bad experience having iTunes and my library on different drives on my iMac so I think I will try to just replace the default library. I plan to try over the weekend and will get back if I have problems.

Thanks