moving iTunes library from Windows to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by btownguy, Jul 26, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

I don't really care about keeping ratings, play counts from my iTunes library on my old (Windows) computer. My Mac and Windows computers are networked and I can easily move files between the two. All of my music is in AAC. So my plan is the following. Is this reasonable?

1) De-authorize my old computer
    2) Copy all music files over to my Mac in a temporary folder
    3) Set iTunes on my Mac to "keep the files/folders organized"
    4) Tell iTunes to "import" from the temp folder
    5) Delete the files in the temp folder

Rather than transfer my podcasts, I can simply re-subscribe from the new computer.

2. GabooN macrumors regular

That should work as far as I have read on the forums (I don't have a Mac but plan to get one very soon and have been looking into this moving music issue as well).

I know you said you aren't bothered with play counts and ratings and stuff, but it is fairly easy to keep all of that and playlists etc intact if you just save the itunes music library file from your PC. I just reinstalled windows and saved those files before formatting and dropped them in place in my new installation and it worked perfectly. From what I understand that itunes file is the same one for the mac library.

Good luck, hopefully no hitches along the way.

3. enderello macrumors newbie

sounds like a plan. This is how I do it.
    I have all my music backed up on an external drive. I make sure it is updated when I get new music of course. When I need my music on any of my computers I do what you have planned minus the copying to a temp folder since it's an external... you get the hint.