Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalel15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2002
Cincinnati, OH
I have an older G4 iMac with an 80 GB hard drive. I have a 750 GB external HD connected to my iMac that I had used for backup, but now, since my primary hard drive is getting full, I decided that I needed to move my iTunes Library in its entirety; especially so as I am beginning to purchase movies which take up a lot of space.

So in my ignorant ways I figured I would go into iTunes preferences, see where the existing storage/library path is, find that in the Finder and then go and move everything under the iTunes Folder (playlists, library files, et al. ) and create a new directory on my external HD. This would be finalized by me redirecting the path in iTunes preferences to the new storage location (library) on the external HD.

Low and behold when I open up iTunes, there is absolutely nothing (no songs, videos, movies, nada). Also (and of course) my iPod will not synch either (asks me if I want to erase the content on my iPod to Synch with "new" iTunes). Obviously, I select no.

Thus I come here to research what may have happened and I come across a lot of information regarding authorization and de-authorization. I'll be honest, some of the examples make sense, but I am not really sure what to do. While I have always understood that you may have up to five machines rule, I always thought that was specific to the iTunes application (vs. actual storage location itself). I don't want to make things worse.

So I would really appreciate some help in having iTunes see all of my songs, videos, etc. from the new file path. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for the help, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

-J

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
What happened is that you moved the iTunes Library File. Without that file, iTunes has no idea what you have, or where it is.

Solutions
1)
All you need to do is to restore your music to where they were, including replacing the iTunesLibrary.xml file. The reopen iTunes, and everything should be fine. Then in the iTunes Preferences, change the location of the library to the External HD. Then use the Consolidate Library command to move everything, enmasse to the correct files to the External HD.

2)
You can change the iTunes preferences to point to the new location of the Library on the External HD.

TEG

kalel15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2002
Cincinnati, OH
I thought I did #2, but will recheck. Similarly I may also do #1 and see where that gets me (if prior effort fails).

At worst, I will search and find the iTunesLibrary.xml file (is that the actual name of the file?) and ensure the library path in iTunes preferences points to that location. Thanks and I will let you know how it goes when I get home later.

kalel15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2002
Cincinnati, OH
OK so I am certain I have iTunes preferences pointing at the correct folder but still nothing (no recognition of what is in folder or of .xml file). I had moved everything out of previous directory (vs. copying) so I will try and see if I can move it back. Seems like there should be something else to this.

kalel15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2002
Cincinnati, OH
Lots of great info here, however, I screwed everything up first and now I am trying to figure out how to basically recreate my iTunes library. I am about to try to put it all back where it started and see if that helps. I am able to reload my songs (via File, Add to Library) into the library per se, but there are no playlists, no delineation of which songs/movies I purchase, etc..

Thus I am pretty frustrated (with myself). I think the key moment of screwing everything up was when I realized that despite the fact I thought I closed iTunes when I was moving my folders I quickly realized it did not close. ugh. Will let you know how it turns out and again, thank you for the help.

Cheers,

-J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.