Moving iTunes library location without re-adding every single track?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mfnd, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Mfnd macrumors member

Hi

I am down to the last few GB on my MacBook and need to free up some space so I was going to move all 200GB or my iTunes music onto an external hard disk. My question is is there an easy way to do this? Am I going to have to re-load them all into iTunes without copying them from the external hard drive or somewhere can I change the location of my entire music collection so that it just finds it elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

2. ragu macrumors member

ragu

I think even putting your files on an external drive you will still have to point ITunes to the external drive(ITunes>Peferences>Advanced>change location) What I did with mine was same as above but I had to remove all references of old media because if you add Library you will get double listings.. I had to do 2.5 Tb of files so ITunes took awhile to re-index the files but it does work and at least I'm good for another year guess I'm going to have to use a Raid system next as they only make 4Tb drive is largest..

3. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: iTunes "Choose Library..."

Hi,

Yes, quit iTunes and then you can just move your iTunes Library to a different drive (via Finder copy or Terminal "cp" or "ditto" commands). When you next start iTunes hold down the "alt/option" key while clicking on the iTunes Dock icon, then pick the "Choose Library..." button and select your moved iTunes Library. The next time you start iTunes it will default to your moved iTunes Library (so you only have to "Choose" it once).

No need to read your music back into iTunes this way.

Regards,
    Switon