moving itunes library to external HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Foxer, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

OK, so I copied my itunes library to an external (firewire) drive. Then I changed the location in the iTunes preferences to the new drive. After a few minutes of reorganizing, iTunes can't find any of the files. They're all listed in iTunes with the little exclamation point in front of them, and it is basically asking me to point it to each song. I'd do that, but we're talking well over 10,000 songs.

Where did I screw this up? (I did it (successfully) once before, but that was like five or six years ago). Can I go back and fix my mistakes?

Thanks!

2. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

What you should have done is change the library location under preferences first, then use consolidate library. It would move the stuff to the new location for you.

3. Foxer thread starter macrumors 65816

Foxer

Would it have preserved my playlists and playcounts?

4. Purpdust macrumors member

Try selecting a file with the ! and right click and choose "Get Info" will take a bit of time.

It might tell you that Connection Failed, if this is the case make sure your external drive in mounted. Or is might give you the file not found would you like to kind it. Int his case you might have to set you Library again in Advanced Preferences.

You could also try adding a Song to Itunes and see where it copies it if you are using that setting.

5. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Yes