Moving iTunes Library to new Computer. Have iTunes Media folder but no Library.xml

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AndrewMRiv, Dec 4, 2014.

1. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

On my iMac, I had my main iTunes Library and it was stored on an External HDD. I also had iTunes Match setup on that Mac.

I am getting rid of the iMac but I still have the "iTunes Media" folder as well as all of the music and videos since I set iTunes to keep the Library organized in that folder on the external HDD.

I forgot to Export the XML file of my Library before wiping the iMac.

If I drag the iTunes Media folder into iTunes on the new computer, will it import everything as is or will I be missing anything? Will it also be possible for me to change iTunes match to be on the new computer?

Thank you.

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

I think you'll have to manually import your media (but I think it can be done all at once by selecting that top level folder) and it will grab everything. Not sure about iTunes match.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It's easy now on a modern mac worth modern iTunes is just copy your iTunes music folder. Then on the new Mac option+click the iTunes icon and in the pop-out choose the the .itl files that is in the new iTunes Library on the external.

This is a video of a guy showing how to move an iTunes Library with modern iTunes Libraries. I know he uses a Synology but it should work the same way on other externals.