Moving iTunes library to new iMac, from External HDD, without migration assist

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by matonuser, Aug 11, 2010.

1. matonuser macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So this question has probably been answered a few times but i can't find a thread with the answer in it...

I'm getting my new iMac today and i have an itunes library on my current macbook(2006, 10.4.11), and i was hoping to move it to the iMac. The files are stored on my external HDD. I can't use the migration assistant because i don't have any firewire cables either. I was also hoping to keep all the ratings and play information ect.

All help is appreciated, i hope i've jotted down all the relevant information.

Thanks! :)

2. matonuser thread starter macrumors newbie

clarifying

Sorry, also to clarify.

As stated, the files are currently on an external HD, but i now want to copy them to the imac, rather than just accessing through the HD. Thanks again!

3. Jason Edwards macrumors regular

I think you just have to copy the user/music/itunes folder to the same location on your new iMac. That should keep your ratings and play information in tact. Once you do that, then change the setting to let iTunes manage your music and it should copy all of your music files off your HD into the music folder on your iMac. I think this will work. I have always let iTunes manage my music folder so when I changed computer I just copied the whole iTunes folder and everything worked like nothing changed.

Jason

4. matonuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Worked perfectly Jason! - Thank you very much! :)

5. Jason Edwards macrumors regular

Glad I was able to help.

Jason

6. mangrove macrumors 6502

Jason-Further to this.

If I want to take all my itUnes Music to an external in order to free up my main computer drive, how would I do this in reverse?

Do you take and copy both the index-called the iTunes Library Database- and the actual media content-called the iTunes Media Folder-in iTunes 9.0 between HHD's or do you just take the iTunes Media Folder and leave the index on the main drive?:cool:

7. Jason Edwards macrumors regular

mangrove, I am not sure how to properly do that one. I would hate to suggest something that screws up your media library.

Jason