Moving iTunes library to second HD + more.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PittsDriver, Dec 27, 2012.

1. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

I just bought a Momentous XT 750gb to replace my Momentous XT 500gb in my 13in MBP. I am toying with the idea of moving the 500gb to the optibay slot. How would I move my iTunes library to the second HD and keep a flawless operation as far as having no hiccups with accessing my stuff through iTunes? Also, is this all I need in order to move my drive to the optibay slot:

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Unibody-MacBook-SuperDrive-Replacement/dp/B0058AH2US/ref=pd_sim_pc_6

Thanks all.

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

3. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

You can select what library iTunes uses in itunes settings

http://lifehacker.com/5971326/move-...hard-drive-in-three-simple-steps?popular=true

Much easier than messing with terminal

4. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: switching iTunes Libraries...

Hi all,

You can use symbolic links to provide a link from your typical /Users/username/Music/iTunes Library to where the library is actually stored, but this may require the use of Terminal commands.

Or you can set the default iTunes Library Media folder in the iTunes Preferences Advanced pane.

Or, on the fly, if you hold down the alt/option key while clicking on the iTunes icon in the Dock, then you will be presented with a menu window that allows you to Create a new Library or Choose a Library. If you select the "Choose Library..." button you can locate any iTunes Library you wish and Open it, even libraries on shared network drives. The beauty of this method is that the next time you start iTunes, it defaults to opening the last library you had open, so without your intervention it will open the library on the shared network drive, for instance. I use this method to have roughly 50 iTunes Libraries, all for different purposes, and then I simply select the library that is appropriate for the task at hand.

...just another suggestion...

Regards,
    Switon

5. switon, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012

switon macrumors 6502a

RE: iTunes on a NAS...

Hi all,

...I don't wish to step on anyone's toes, so I decided to shorten this post...and just say that under some conditions you can copy the entire iTunes Library without loosing metadata or the metadata is easily recovered by exporting playlists again...

Regards,
    Switon