Moving iTunes music from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MarlboroLite, Nov 28, 2007.

1. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Hey guys--

I'm going to be making the Great Switch when new MBPs come out and I've done enough research to know that I won't have any problems with most of my files when I transfer them. One question I haven't been able to find out about regards iTunes.

I have all my music files in a folder and in iTunes itself obviously, and I've spent countless hours being obsessive compulsive about fixing all the songs, album artwork, years, albums etc for every song I have. All of my music is not from the iTunes store so most of the times the songs can be misspelled, not have artwork etc. When I transfer the songs I have a feeling that I will lose all this work because the iTunes itself is not going to transfer only the files I have.

Am I screwed in this regard and will have to fix all the songs again from scratch or is there a way around this?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

All that you have to do is copy over the entire iTunes folder into ~/Music over in OS X.

I've done this about 3 times now between OS X and Windows.

3. Mindcrime macrumors regular

Mindcrime

Also, don't forget to Deauthorize your iTunes on the PC, so you can free up one of your 5 authorizations.

4. MarlboroLite thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Right but am I going to get the same set up in iTunes itself and on the iPod? Will I lose the cover art I have brought in plus all the other info about the songs I have entered in iTunes?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Cover art is stored either in the audio file itself or iTunes stores and references it within the iTunes Folder.

I'm unsure what behavior the iPod will take since I haven't had one in several years.

6. nismo86 macrumors member

Moving iTunes music from PC to Mac

I'm confused on how to move all my music from my PC to my mac, and keep all the song counts, song art, etc, how do I do this? I have a 30gb ipod and a shuffle which on the PC I have 2 different usernames cause I have the 30gb ipod on username and the shuffle on another, is there anyway to have both on the mac, or do I need 2 usernames?

7. nismo86 macrumors member

Can I have music for my ipod and music for my shuffle on the same username, or do I need 2 like I did on my PC?

8. kolax macrumors G3

Two accounts I believe - don't think there is any other way.

9. nismo86 macrumors member

Which folder do I take? will all the song counts and everything stay there? I read a thing on how to transfer, but it made me more confused.