Moving iTunes to a new Mac AND hard drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jimbo akimbo, Nov 11, 2010.

1. jimbo akimbo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I can't find a thread that addresses my particular problem, so I'm hoping somebody out there can point me in the right direction.

I have a 100gb iTunes folder on my MacBook which I wish to transfer to my new iMac. Rather than simply copy it across to the iMac's HD, I would rather copy it to an external HD and then run iTunes from the external HD connected to my iMac.

So my question is simply what is the best way to do this.

Also, can anyone recommend a great external HD which won't expire after 6 months?

Thanks so much for helping.

Jim

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

copy the entire iTunes folder (not just the iTunes music folder) to the external drive.

when done, connect the drive to your new Mac and launch iTunes while holding option on your keyboard. when prompted, click on choose library and select the iTunes folder you just moved to then external.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with these LaCie or OWC drives. i'd steer clear of western digital drives.

3. jimbo akimbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much.... thats the first time I've heard about holding down the [option] key - brilliant!