Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I have an iMac and a 2011 13" MBP, both running Lion 10.7.2 with iTunes 10.5.3. The iMac is the main system, and I do all the iTunes purchases there for an iPhone 4S, an iPod Touch 4G, and an iPod Touch 3G.

What I wanted to do was to have a full copy of iTunes stuff on the MBP, including the device backups. After searching threads and banging my head against the wall a bit, I've come up with what I needed to move:

Copy as below:

in HD/Music/iTunes Copy the iTunes folder. (The main iTunes lib)

In HD/Library/Application Support/MobileSync (device backups)
Copy the Backup folder.

in HD/Library/iTunes Copy everything under it: (3 directories)
iPod Software Updates
iTunes Plug-ins
Mobile Backups
------------
This seems to be working, and I was hoping anyone who's done this in the past would review this and see if I have missed anything.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I have an iMac and a 2011 13" MBP, both running Lion 10.7.2 with iTunes 10.5.3. The iMac is the main system, and I do all the iTunes purchases there for an iPhone 4S, an iPod Touch 4G, and an iPod Touch 3G.

What I wanted to do was to have a full copy of iTunes stuff on the MBP, including the device backups. After searching threads and banging my head against the wall a bit, I've come up with what I needed to move:

Copy as below:

in HD/Music/iTunes Copy the iTunes folder. (The main iTunes lib)

In HD/Library/Application Support/MobileSync (device backups)
Copy the Backup folder.

in HD/Library/iTunes Copy everything under it: (3 directories)
iPod Software Updates
iTunes Plug-ins
Mobile Backups
------------
This seems to be working, and I was hoping anyone who's done this in the past would review this and see if I have missed anything.

Alternatively you could have used migration assistant and simply migrated the user data?

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Still, I am sure you can use it as a tool to help you move what appears to be a large database of music. But you've done it now and it evidently worked. There's no right and wrong way! If it worked, it's the right one for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.