Moving iTunes to different HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by illegalprelude, Jul 10, 2007.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Hey you guys so ive recently bought a WD 500GB Sata drive and put it in my G5 as my 180GB drive in there is getting full. Ive been thinking of moving my iPhoto and iTunes library to there but im not sure exactly how to go about this without potentially messing anything up so any thoughts and comments would be awesome.

Also, do I have to format the WD in any particular way? Currently, I have it set as Mac OS Extended (journaled)

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

default mac format is fine.

Easiest way to transfer is to move both iTunes Music and iPhoto Library folders to the external, make aliases of both and put the aliases back where the folders were originally (and delete the "alias" bit off the end so that the name is exactly the same as the original).
    When you start iTunes /iPhoto it will follow the alias to the new location as if nothing had happened.

Just make sure the external is on/attached whenever you start the apps.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Another way is to move the library out to the new drive and hold down the Option key when you launch iTunes/iPhoto. It'll ask you if you want to choose a new library -- just point it to the new location.

4. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

hey, thanks alot! that worked perfectly! Way easier then I thought. Thanks :)