Moving iTunes to new computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Howard Brazee, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

It looks like I will be getting my Mac Pro with the help of about half of it being my Christmas present from my wife. (I did the same thing for her iMac last year).

The Windows machine that is my primary iTunes machine will go away. How do I make my new machine my primary iTunes machine?

2. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

on the windows machine, backup your iTunes library to a DVD (Theres an option for this under the file menu) then pop the dvd into your mac and restore your library from that disc. That should do it.

3. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

It won't fit on a DVD, not even close.

I can copy the whole iTunes directory structure - but I have done that with my work computer which knows that it is not my #1 iTunes machine.

4. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

do u have an external drive you can back the library up to and restore it from that?

5. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

Sure - even my iPod will do for that, almost (by emptying it out first). And I will have a home LAN - I can copy them to my wife's iMac or directly to my new Mac. Getting the songs over isn't my worry - it is telling Apple that this is my primary iTunes machine.

6. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

ooooo didnt understand at first.

im not sure then... when i got my macbook, i just moved my files over and that was it

7. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I have a 2nd old Windows machine, and I periodically copy my iTunes subdirectory from one computer to the other - as a backup.

I also use my iPod to move data back and forth between home and work - when I plug it into my 2nd home computer, I get a message saying that it couldn't sync the iPod Golf game I purchased - I'm not authorized to play it on that computer.

So I infer that just copying over is insufficient.

8. hyddan macrumors member

Use several, then..

9. ryanmcd02 macrumors member

Transfer your music first, however you like. On your new computer, click to play a DRM protected song and then authorize the computer.

Then with your old computer open iTunes. Look under Advanced (at least that is the tab on macs, I expect the same) and then click "deauthorize computer."

I assume that is what you want - you don't want a dead computer using up one of your computers allowed for DRMed music, right?

10. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I guess I have found my attempts to synchronize my iPod with two different authorized machines to be so unpredictable that I expected this to fail.

I will follow your instructions and hope for the best.

11. ryanmcd02 macrumors member

Oh, I think that I mistook your problem. I thought you just did not want to have an authorized computer not in use. Are the rights on games the same as music as far as how many systems they can be used on? Because if you are only allowed to use the games on one that could be the problem. But if songs aren't working, and you already told it what your user id and password was...hmmm..

12. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I just plugged my iPod into my wife's iMac. When iTunes loaded, it opened a window saying:

The game "mini Golf" was not copied to the iPod
    "Howard Brazee's iPod" because you are not authorized
    to play it on this computer.

I did once re-download that game after it got corrupted on my iPod.

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Simply 'Authorize Computer...' you have 3 authorizations available after your Windows and new Mac. I have three libraries using this method.