moving iweb domain data- permission problem

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MacMalv, Jan 29, 2009.

1. MacMalv macrumors regular

I am trying to move my iweb data from my old computer to my new one. I know that you move the 'domain' file in application support folder, however when i do this and try to open the website, i get a message saying I do not have permission so i cannot save it.
    I no longer have the original computer as i wiped it and sold it to a friend, but i do have a back up. I guess i need to change permissions but it doesn't seem to work. any idea?

p.s. i tried searching and there was plenty on moving the domain, but none on this problem with permissions.

thanks.

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If you are not signed in as an administrator I dont think you can edit the Application support folder.

Is there a little pencil with a line through it at the bottom of the window?

Sign in as admin and you should be ok to place the file in the folder.

3. MacMalv thread starter macrumors regular

Im the only account on this computer and I am the admin. on the external hard-drive there is a pencil with a line through it. i can drag the file into my iweb folder, I then open the file, but when i try to save it, it says I do not have the permission.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

On the window with the pencil and line through it go to File>Get Info and have a look at the Ownership and permissions bit. Set 'You can' to Read and write and 'Owner' to read and write. That should sort it.

5. MacMalv thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your help. it worked, but i have decided to just scrap the old website and create a new one! I decided I dont like it anymore. :D