Moving Lacie Raided drives to new enclosure

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by butcharuski, Nov 21, 2012.

1. butcharuski macrumors newbie

Looked all over Macrumors and the web for an answer to this but could not find anything. Hopefully you could help. Thanks in advance.

I need to get data off a failing lacie 1tb bigger disk extreme. Is it possible to move the two drives to a new non-Lacie enclosure? Or are the drives raided specifically for this Lacie case?

Not that you need this information to answer my question, but here are the symptoms I'm having:
    I'm pretty sure the power supply and/or the enclosure itself are having power issues. It will not mount or show up in disk utility. The drives will not spin up. But, the blue light does come on when it senses a connection and the fan will spin. I'm pretty sure at some point this drive was plugged up to the wrong power supply...

2. LaCieTech macrumors member

Hi,

Bigger disks actually have 4 hard drives inside, if yours only has two it is a Big Disk. In either case though, they are hardware RAID with the controller so moving them to a non LaCie enclosure definitely won't work. If you have another Bigger (or Big) disk around you can swap to that enclosure, but the model numbers have to match. You can't take 2 disks out of a Bigger and put them in a Big for example, it has to be to a matching drive.

There is some recovery software available on the internet that can attempt to make a software RAID that mimics the hardware configuration but its not as good of a shot as getting another enclosure.

You can try another power supply also, but if you think that the drive was connected to a bad power supply then its likely the power controller inside the enclosure that isn't functioning and replacing the PSU won't help.

You can call us and we can probe a little deeper to see if there are other options, or talk to our recovery department to see about sending it in to be recovered. We're at 503.844.4500 (USA) or www.lacie.com/mystuff.

~mn, LaCie