Moving large files from mac to external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FTLOSM, Sep 13, 2011.

1. FTLOSM macrumors member

I have an imac 27 with an internal 2tb drive formatted in Mac OS extended it says, I also have windows installed on this machine via bootcamp and have a 2tb external drive formatted in ntfs that had some old windows files on it from my previous computer.

I was moving all the files from my 2tb ntfs drive via usb to the internal mac's hd, and realized I wanted to put some back onto the 2tb usb ntfs drive but it doesn't seem to be letting me do this.

I am new to mac (prob something very simple), it let me put the files onto the mac drive just can't get them off the mac drive back onto the usb ntfs drive. When I try to drag them over i just see a circle with a line thru it saying no no no... I want it to say yes yes yes hehe...

These are large 2-6gb files mostly vob and avi movie files but even my mp3 and wav music files which are much smaller won't pull over either same circle bar restricted type thing.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need something like MacFuse or NTFS 3G to allow your Mac to write to a NTFS-formatted drive.

3. Sirolway macrumors 6502

I believe OS X can read from NTFS but not write to it
    I think there are 3rd party drivers that will allow writing (not sure how much I would trust them long term, but should do the job for you)

If you're not intending to use the drive on Windows again, reformat to Mac OS X Journalled when you get a chance.

If you *are* intending to use the drive with both Mac & Windows, then FAT32 is generally your best bet. Not as good as NTFS, but does the job ...

Hope it helps

4. FTLOSM thread starter macrumors member

downloaded and installed macfuse but guess i gotta read more and install a few other things (still won't let me move those files back to ntfs), kinda wish I had not even moved them there (copied instead) but i was trying to clear that ntfs drive off and start fresh with it....

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

have fun writing to ntfs. it is slower than molasses.