moving large files need help/advice

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DrWho, Dec 20, 2008.

1. DrWho macrumors newbie

DrWho

I am moving a few folders which are in excess of 4 gig each from one hard drive to another to try and free up space, of course I am aware that one is formatted for mac and the other is ms dos but I already have stuff on it and can't take it off in order to reformat it (or I do not want to). Is there a program that exist that will allow me to do this, I was only thinking in regard to programs such as Senuti for backing up an iPod. Since an iPod is so huge, you tell the program where to put the songs and regardless of the space it will do it, no questions asked.

If you understand what I am on about can you please assist me in any other way in regard to solving me problem.

2. alFR macrumors 68020

What format is your "ms-dos" formatted disk in? If it's FAT or FAT32 it hould be readable/writable directly by your Mac, as far as I know it's just NTFS that is read only.

If it is NTFS, you could:

1. plug it into a PC (if you have access to one) and share it over the network, then copy the files from your Mac to the shared drive.
    2. Use this.

I'm assuming here that (a) you're copying from Mac to PC and (b) although the folders are over 4Gb the individual files within them aren't.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If you have files over 4GB within those folders, they will NOT copy to anything other than an NTFS volume - FAT32 can't handle files that big.