Moving Leopard to different HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by updraft419, Jan 13, 2009.

1. updraft419 macrumors newbie

I have a PowerMac G5 that I bought 3 and 1/2 years ago and it came with a basic 160GB HD. Since then, I've added a 250GB internal and a 1TB external. My 160 has been the main HD (OSX and all), but now I want to switch my 2 internal HD's where my 250 is my main HD. I figure everything is fairly easy, but I've never come across switching the OS.
    a) is this possible?
    b) if so, how do i do it?
    Thanks

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

It should be easy enough - you should be able to clone the 160GB drive onto the 250GB drive using SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner (this will wipe your 250GB drive so get everything off it). Then set your startup disk in Preferences to the the 250GB drive.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Or you can use Disk Utility's Restore function, works better in most cases than either of the other options from what I've seen. You can even have it not wipe the destination drive, though it's probably a good idea if you can.

jW

4. updraft419 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I did this with CarbonCopyCloner and then I selected my 250GB as my startup and all it would do is give me a gray screen that told me to restart my computer or turn it off. I did this and eventually ended up erasing my 160GB using Disk Utility and restoring my 250GB (which was technically my 160GB) back to the 160GB and nothing. Right now, I have reinstalled the basics and am trying to just transfer everything from the 250GB to the 160GB. A couple of things to ask:
    1) Did I totally screw up doing all of this? Cause my 250GB is my old 160GB, but my mac won't use it as the start up disk.
    2) My 250GB has some files (like my pics) that has a red circle on it and says I don't have access to it. Is this bad? Why can't I access it? I really hope I didn't lose my pics and other impt. stuff.

This is really screwing me up and taking up waaayyy too much of my time. Can I use the 250GB as my startup? If so, please let me know how. Any help would be great. Thanks.