Moving Library, Applications and System folders across to an SSD.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ZeissmeisteR, Oct 8, 2010.

1. ZeissmeisteR macrumors newbie

ZeissmeisteR

Hey guys,

Firstly im well aware of the other threads roaming around the forum, but im having troubles with all of the options do this i find. I'm also aware that people might find it hard to believe that someone who has shelled out for a couple of SSD's might be having problems doing this, please, just need the help, no flaming.

Basically, just acquired 2x new SSD's and im wishing to transfer my OS and Applications over to them, so i can boot from them.

I'm asking if someone has the time, please explain in layman's terms on how to do this? I'm at the end of my wick trying to figure it out.

Thanks to anyone that helps.

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I think people will need to know if you have the SSDs configured as two separate drives or as one (RAID/JBOD).

If you are moving from an old mac to a new one, you can use Migration Assistant. Step-by-step is here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3322

If you are just changing drives in the same Mac, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner: http://www.bombich.com/

If your Mac is a few years old or older, you might consider a fresh reinstall of the OS and reinstalling all of your applications, then simply copying your media/documents/etc over from the old drive.

3. ZeissmeisteR thread starter macrumors newbie

ZeissmeisteR

Sorry forgot to mention the config,

New 6 Core Mac Pro 2010.

The SSD's are 2x Corsair 60GB's in Raid 0 formatted to Mac OS Extended Journaled.

There are also 2x 1TB WD drives.

I should also say ive tried the CCC approach, however the SSD would not boot (or at least i couldnt find a way for it to boot), thus i couldnt go onto the next step.

The last option is an option, but id like to keep that as a last resort.

4. bobbydaz macrumors regular

I don't think the new 6 core will boot from a previous system, migration assistant is the way to go.

5. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I don't think the 6-core will boot from anything other than a 2010 Installation as I don't think OS X has seen a point update since the 2010 MP release.

So it's either migration assistant or reinstall time.

6. cutterman macrumors regular

I used migration assistant to upgrade from a 2007 to 2010 MP, and had a few annoying hardware problems- like failure to recognize my ipod when plugged in to the USB port. Ended up having to reinstall from scratch, which is really best, and it wasn't as big a hassle as I thought it would be.

Just save an image of your old OS X install to be safe.

7. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

My 2010 booted from a 2008 installation even with a different vid card. As long as you have all the SL updates it should be fine.