Moving library to another computer

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Cave Man, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I'm having quite a frustrating time with this. All I want to do is move my iTunes library (about 700 gb of music and videos) to another Mac that's in my basement. I have spent a lot of time adding series titles (e.g., "24", "Voyager") and descriptions. I thought it would be as simple as moving my library (which is on a 1 TB fw drive) and the "iTunes Library" and "iTunes Music Library.xml". But when I did this, iTunes on the new computer completely screwed everything up by putting all my TV shows in my Movies folder and losing the series' names, seasons and episode numbers. Surely, Apple didn't engineer iTunes to behave this way? Is there a way to migrate this information to the new computer?

2. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

700GB? wow, thats a lot.

Well, in the Music Folder on the first Mac, Drag the entire iTunes Folder, in the itunes folder it should contain an iTunes library file, iTunes Music Folder, and other files and folders, copy the whole folder to your disk, and replace the existing iTunes folder on the other mac with it.

3. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

4. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

When you start up iTunes, hold down the option (alt) key. A window will pop up, prompting you to choose your library. Doing that may help.

5. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

are you sure this file got moved:

[​IMG]

6. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

Mary and Shotglass: The combinations of both your suggestions is what it took, although it required about a day and a half of copying to get the consolidated library in the right place.

Thanks for the help.

CM