moving library to Time Capsule

Discussion in 'iPod' started by stvfisher, Jan 23, 2008.

1. stvfisher macrumors member

Sorry for yet another 'My iTunes library' topic! I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time importing CD's.

My iTunes library is on my MacBook. I plan to get a Time Capsule (1TB) and use it to store my iTunes library. This means I won't have an iTunes library on my MacBook (the speakers are crap anyways - I'd rather listen using my iPod). Is it going to be a pain to move my entire library to the TC? I plan in the future to use the library on TC for a MBA and AppleTV.

Thanks!

2. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

I would also love to know if Time Capsule could be used for this same purpose. I have over 600GB of music/video that's all iTunes-friendly (mp3, aac, mp4, m4v), but I can't (nor do I want to) store it all in my MacBook. I only use iTunes at home, so I'd love my entire iTunes Library on a wireless external HD. I have an Airport Extreme (current "n"), but I've heard that AirDisk doesn't always work reliably with an external HD and iTunes. Time Capsule and its "server-grade" 1TB could be just what I need.

I eagerly await more discussion on this topic.

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Yes,you can use Time capsule for iTunes storage..

Basically since Time capsule is a wireless hard drive.. Just move your library to the drive then direct iTunes to the location ...

4. stvfisher thread starter macrumors member

So what kind of tips and tricks do I need to know about before moving my library over to the TC? Any 'gotchas' or commonl missed settings?

5. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

in iTunes:preferences:Advanced:General tab, i guess you could link to your time capsule drive...

unless apple restricts this.

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

TC is just a wireless hard drive..

There no restrictions unless you use TC as it's designed purpose.. As a Backup drive then you need this to read TC drive..

If TC is used as an iTunes Storage Device then you need to direct all the iTunes accounts to that device if you wanna 'share' your TC Music ...

Edit: the 'this' link is for PC if you got PC's on your home network to use TC for other files...