Moving mail from OSX mail client, back to Win7 OS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Faceoff9, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Faceoff9 macrumors newbie

Ok, I'm not sure that this is even in the right area, my apologies if it isn't.

Here's my strange situation....

I have 2 computers at work. A Win7 OS machine, and a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard.

Yesterday I discovered that my Outlook on Win7 is missing a bunch of mail in my inbox (that account is not in cached mode). By chance, I went to the email on my Mac Mini, and found all of my missing mail. I have not setup Outlook on the Mini, I'm using the mail client that came with the OS.

How do I recover the mail back to the Outlook application on my Win7 machine....Anyone?

Any help is greatly appreciated. If there is a prior topic on this with instructions, I did not find it in the Search option - I will be more than glad to try that and see if it works if someone could direct me to the topic.

Thanks!

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

What account? If that mail is, say Gmail, then you should be able to find it on gmail.com under All Mail.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Yeah, you didn't mention what you're using for mail: gmail, exchange, me.com, etc.

But I'd try exporting the mail from the Mail.app and then importing in Outllook on your PC.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Another asking for the name of your e-mail provider.

Anyways if your provider supports IMAP or Exchange. Make sure mail is configured for that as well as Outlook. Then you can simply drag and drop from the local folder in Mail to the IMAP/Exchange folders. Then everything will show up in Outlook automatically.

5. Faceoff9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry everyone....

I am working out of MS Exchange 2007.

It seems that when I log into the Exchange mailbox on the Mac Mini (via the internal Mac Mail program), it "pulls" the mail out of exchange main inbox, and keeps it on the Mac. When I go to my Windows machine, the mail is no longer available there - but still available on the Mac. I'm just trying to figure out "why" this happened, how to prevent it from happening again and how I can get it back into Exchange and into Windows....

Thanks again for your help.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

I am assuming you're using the latest Mail client found under Lion. If so, I'd recommend trying the following:
    1. Select all messages you wish to move back
    2. Right click
    3. Move mouse to "Copy To, " not Move To"
    4. Copy them to Inbox under your Exchange folder

Note: This may produce duplicates if they already exist there. What you can do is click on the tiny arrow next to "Inbox" and then click on your Exchange inbox. See if anything shows up there. If so, they should all be on the server as that is not offline storage.

7. Faceoff9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in the Snow Leopard OS, but this is the thing - the messages are still in the mail box in Exchange, on the Mini. They haven't moved. It's like they were transferred into a temp folder maybe(?) one the Mac Mini? I'm sorry - I don't know how to describe it better.

The mail is missing from my Exchange Inbox on Windows 7. If I go to the Mac Mini Inbox (for exchange under the default Mac Mail application), the mail is located there. Don't know how or why....I just need to try to get it moved "back" into the Windows PC. Is ther ea default .pst file or somethign that the mail is stored in that I can save or move to the network and attach to the Windows PC?