Moving mail from Outlook Express to Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erat, Oct 8, 2008.

1. erat macrumors newbie

Hi All:

I am considering moving away from my PC and using an iMac as my primary computer. I currently have a Macbook Pro (from work) and I am in the process of testing some things out.

After a bit of digging, I found a way to export my mail from outlook express and into mac mail. I first have to export to Thunderbird, then finally import into Mac mail.

The problem I'm having is that the import into mac mail, the messages get listed under an "Import" folder.

Long story short...

How do I create subfolders under the Inbox in Mac mail? I have over 10 years worth of mail that needs to be in some sort of structure, I can't have all the mail sitting in the Inbox.

I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. I want to avoid using Entourage.

Thanks in advance!

2. danny_w macrumors 601

I used some sort of a DOS command-line program when I moved to the Mac Mini several years ago; I will have to search to find the name. Outlook Express keeps each folder in a separate file, and I ran this command-line tool on each file (folder) that I wanted to keep, and it spit out one .mbx file (or whatever it was) for every folder. When I imported these they came into my Imported folder as separate folders; I just drug these folders to where I wanted them. I will try to find the name of the tool later today.

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I think you can drag and drop 'em into new folders in the inbox from that import folder(s).

4. danny_w macrumors 601

I think the problem is that he probably has thousands of emails. Selecting and moving this many emails to separate folders would be quite tedious to say the least.

5. erat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for the quick response. I tried dragging and dropping once the mail was in the Import folder. Didn't work for me.

While we're at it, is there a way to do a bulk export of my address book as well? An export to a csv cannot be imported into mac mail for some reason. I can move my contacts over by exporting to a vCard, but that will take forever.

Thanks again to all!

6. danny_w macrumors 601

The program that I used was DbxConv.exe (do a search and you'll find it). I don't think I had to give it any options other than the name of the .dbc file that I wanted to convert (yu will have one *.dbx file for everyf older). To find the *.dbx files find the Outlook Express STORE (I think it is under Tools or Options or something like that). Just copy these to a safe place (make sure that OE is not running) and do the conversion. Then copy these fiels to your Mac and do Import in mail.app