Moving Mavericks 1:1 on other machine

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Zen5656, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Zen5656 macrumors member

Hey!
    I am intensively using Mavericks on my 2013 MacBook Pro retina and now think about moving back to a Mac Pro 2012. Is it somehow possible to get my system 1:1 on another macbook as I have Logic Pro X Version which I want to keep (App Store only gives my the newest version). I also do not want to get stuck setting everything up again (hugh Dropbox, iphoto etc). I wish I could just backup onto a drive and then put that into the MacPro like it was possible earlier when MacBooks hat 2,5 SSDs. Is something like that possible?

2. KALLT macrumors 601

I think across devices, you can only use Migration Assistant to import your local data. You can just set up your Mac Pro with Mavericks and connect both computers with a USB cable. Then you can transfer your user accounts and their home directories, your applications and your local library to your Mac Pro with Migration Assistent. This should be pretty painless.

3. CliftonHighgrov macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

AFAIK every OS X install contains the drivers for every prior and current Mac model. You should therefore be able to clone your rMBP's SSD to whatever is best for you, and then boot it on the MP no problem.

Certainly, I've booted from various cloned boot drives over the years and regardless which device they originated on I was always able to boot them on my other devices.

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I just today cloned my MBP running Mavericks over to a 2012 Mac mini using Carbon Copy Cloner, a FW cable and Target Disk mode without so much as a hiccup.
    Once I booted the mini I did have to disable a couple of apps that I had been using on the MBP such as SMC Fan control and another app for controlling keyboard back lighting, other then that everything is running perfectly.