moving MBP while buring a disc?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hogsrul, Mar 2, 2011.

1. hogsrul macrumors member

Without thinking, I picked up my laptop while it was burning a cd and it made a weird spinning sound almost like it was scratching the disc. Is that common? Should I not move the laptop during a burn?

Also, should I slide the disc most of way, 3/4, before the computer pulls the rest of the disc in? seems like it should accept the disc at around 1/4 or so. thoughts?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Usually not a good idea to move the computer while using the disc drive, as the discs are flexible and can get scratched like that. It is normal for the drive to wait until it is most of the way in to accept it, however, so there is no need to worry about that.

3. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

On my NON-unibody, I noticed that I'd create a coaster if I moved the MBP while burning.

Also, non-unibody might be a little flexy in that corner, as well as getting a little squished as you grip it. That thing is spinning very fast with little tolerance.

4. hogsrul thread starter macrumors member

I have a unibody with a speck case around it. If a disc is spinning, burning or not, it starts making the scratching sound. It seems like that's pretty weak, I mean I can't pick the thing up if a disc is in it?