moving movies to G-Drive, but how ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ericalasagna, Sep 11, 2008.

1. ericalasagna macrumors newbie

I have a mac that is running out of room so fast i can barely save a word document. i don't like throwing away too much because i like looking at old things. anyways, thats not the point.
    point is, i'm really into making movies, and i want to use my g drive for saving old movies so i can edit new ones on my hard drive. i used to know how to move them over to the g drive to free up room, but i forgot what keys to use.

can somebody pleasse tell me what might work? just dragging and dropping hasn't worked and this error "36" comes up saying it can't be read or written.

help help help !! :eek:

2. kalex macrumors 65816

is your G drive formatted? you should be just able to drag and drop them to new drive. try formatting it as extended mac journaled file system and that should work

3. ericalasagna thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ericalasagna thread starter macrumors newbie

no, how do you specifically format the g drive ??

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Start up Disk Utilities, choose the GDrive in the left hand column and proceed with the "Erase" function. Make sure that Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is selected before erasing the drive.

6. ericalasagna thread starter macrumors newbie

wait, but i don't want to erase whats already on there .. its not an empty g drive, i just forgot how to move things onto it ....
    did turning on time machine for a day screw it up ?

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK, well my response was to your previous quote about formatting the G-Drive.

I'm assuming you are getting a -36 error rather than a 36 as you mentioned (it does make a difference) since a -36 is an I/O error. (No, BTW- turning on Time Machine for a day should have nothing to do with it.)

If your G-Drive version offers more than one way to hook it up, this would be a good time to try that. The I/O problem could be anything from a bad port on the computer to a bad cable to a bad interface port on the drive and so on. Just dragging and dropping a test file onto it with no keys held down will be the best test as you try the various options you have. There is no need to hold any keys to just copy a file onto it- modifier keys (which can easily be found by going to the help menu in the finder for future note) that allow you to move the file, make an alias to the file and more can be used after you get the drive working.

A couple of questions- are you able to test the drive with another Mac to verify operation and how big is the file you are attempting to copy? Since we don't know how the G-Drive is formatted (Disk Utility will tell you the format type) if it happens to be formatted in a PC format called FAT32 there is a limitation as to how big any single file can be when written to the drive, which is why I asked. Also, can you see the files on the external disk and are you able to copy files FROM it to your main drive?

So try just dragging and dropping a small file first- and if that does not work let us know the format of the drive and whether or not you are able to try it with an alternate hookup or even better using the same hookup with another Mac, OK?

8. ericalasagna thread starter macrumors newbie

oh MAN am i stupid .. all i had to do was changed where it was plugged in to .. thank you for your help :D

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well, all's well that ends well right? Glad to hear it works! :D