moving music from one HD to another (w/ iTunes)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spyderracer393, Jul 21, 2007.

1. spyderracer393 macrumors regular

well...I posted this on the Apple Discussions and didn't get much help...at all. So I figured I'd come here for some real help!

here is the post:

Okay, so I have a Power Mac G5 (DP 2.0) that came with a 250GB HD, and I recently added a 500GB HD that I want to keep all of my music and my Aperture library on. Anyways, Aperture easily took the setting when I told it the library is on the 500GB HD, but iTunes seems slightly temperamental in this department.

Here is how I have it: Macintosh HD is the 250 GB HD, while Loren's HD is the 500 GB HD. Ideally, I want the whole iTunes folder in the root directory of Loren's HD (500 GB), but if that isn't possible, I would be fine having just the iTunes Music folder there, and the rest in my Home music folder. So in iTunes I tell it where the iTunes music folder is, and it updates iTunes and does all of that stuff, and some of my music plays fine, but well over half of the songs have the little exclamation point. Of course, if I try to play one of the ! songs, it tells me to locate the file, and I do, and then the music plays.

How can I make this work? It seems pretty simple to me. Also, I know what I am doing, I have an external HD attached to my laptop which does work with the music on that, but I can't get it to work with the G5. I have tried consolidating the library and everything.

so if any of you can help me here...I would appreciate that.

Thanks, and sorry for the long and drawn out post.

-Brad

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I find the easiest way to move the iTunes library is to literally move everything from the default Music folder to the new location when iTunes is closed. Open iTunes whilst holding OPTION and select the library from the new location. Done.

In your case, you might want to rebuild your iTunes library too. :)