MOVING Music in iTunes to a new location. Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GMFreak8, Nov 20, 2007.

1. GMFreak8 macrumors newbie

I know that you can copy music to a new location on your hard drive through iTunes, but I was wondering if it's possible to move the music in iTunes to a new location. The iTunes library on my computer became completely screwed up somehow. iTunes couldn't find the song even though it was in the same exact physical location. Somehow it also started to randomly delete certain songs from the library, so I decided I'd redo everything. Now I'm starting to refine my library and get rid of the stuff I don't listen to. I've gotten almost everything I want added back into iTunes, so I'd like to be able to move them to a new location, while keeping the stuff not added into iTunes in the old location. That way I have more of an idea of what I want to keep and what I can safely delete. I hope that made sense. Anyway, if anyone knows of some way to do this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. :)

2. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

I don't know if you can move subsets of the iTunes folder around, but the following might take care of what you're looking at doing:

Add your entire music folder into iTunes so that all of your music is there. Then sort your Music Library by "date added". delete all songs that were just added, and all the songs you don't want anymore will be removed.

3. GMFreak8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will dragging the entire folder give me duplicates of what's already in the library?

I'd like to be able to move everything in iTunes, because it's so disorganized some artists are under folders of many different spellings and whatnot. It's tough to know what I've added or not, and I hate having music in my library that doesn't belong to any particular playlist.

4. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

You shouldn't get dups of songs that are already in your library.

Another way you could get this done would be to have iTunes manage the file/folder names for you and to have music copied into the iTunes folder upon import.

Then, as you add songs, they are copied to the iTunes folder under the artist/album that is in the ID3 tag. You can then delete the songs as you go from the source folders. Eventually, you'll be left with the subset of music that you're looking to get rid of, which you can then delete easily.

5. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

6. GMFreak8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have asked this question before I started adding music to itunes again. Then I would have been able to do what I wanted.