Moving my boot volume to another drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kapowaz, Apr 13, 2008.

1. kapowaz macrumors newbie

I've an early 2008 mac pro which I have added a couple of additional SATA drives to; both are Western Digital Raptor drives (a 75GB and a 150GB model). I've successfully used the 75GB as a BootCamp volume for Windows XP, and it is my intention to use the 150GB one as my main OS X boot drive. I used SuperDuper! to copy the original boot drive over to the 150GB Raptor, which copied successfully.

Unfortunately, this new volume doesn't appear in the list of bootable volumes in the Startup Disk preference panel. If I restart and hold the Option key down, it is listed and I can boot from it, but I'm worried about erasing the original drive whilst I can't manually select the new drive as my boot volume in the preference panel. For what it's worth, Disk Utility reports the new volume as bootable.

Can anybody suggest any remedies as to how to make the new volume appear in the list, so that I can recover the older drive to use for storage?

2. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Reinstall Leopard, select "Archive and Install" and check the "Preserve Users and Network Settings" box.

3. kapowaz thread starter macrumors newbie

That's, uh, a little extreme isn't it? I mean, the thing works just fine if it wasn't for it not appearing in the list of startup drives. I was more thinking that there was some variable or setting that was preventing the drive from showing up...

4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Try cloning again, but this time use Carbon Copy Cloner instead of Super Duper.

5. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

SuperDuper is the way to go. I'll be doing it later today when my new WD 640 shows up.

Edit: I see you already tried SD, but did you use the Leopard-ready version?

6. kapowaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm not about to buy another product that does the same job when the one I have *should* be fine. And yes, it was the most recent version of SuperDuper! I used (it updated before I ran the backup).

7. overcast macrumors 6502a

CCC is absolutely free and works perfectly. I use it all the time cloning drives.

8. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

It sounds like you did not have it set the drive to be bootable.

I just finished my migration and it worked fine. The new drive was available as a startup disk...