Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Hi,

Just bought a refurb MBP 2011 model (2.5 GHz quad core). One reason for going for the 2011 rather than 2012 model is: I can run Snow Leopard on those. (Not sure if the 2012 MBP will handle Snow Leopard). Much prefer Snow Leopard to Lion.

On my current laptop, I'm running Lion. So when I get my new MBP on Monday: Can I transfer my mail account from my old Lion laptop over to the MBP Snow Leopard? (Mail in Lion is a different version to Mail in Snow Leopard).

Worst case scenario (if automatic data transfer doesn't work): Could I just copy the user/library/mail folder from Lion to SL?

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
It probably won't work. You definitely can't migrate it back using Migration Assistant anyway. You'll likely have to import the mailboxes into Mail but give it a shot.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Migration Assistant

Thanks – I thought it would be like that :(
So that means I'll have to move everything else (iTunes / Applications / Serial numbers and so on) manually, right?

Wish I had never gone to Lion.... :(

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
If your mail accounts are IMAP (e.g. gmail) like mine, then you simply have to enter your mail account info when setting up mail and all of your mail will be downloaded from the server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.