Moving my data onto my new macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alex.purple.mac, Dec 20, 2010.

1. alex.purple.mac macrumors member

Hi, I currently have a 2006 white macbook that I have backed everything up onto an external HD with Time Machine. I have bought one of the new 13" Macbook Pros, but I can't just plug the external HD in and import everything, as the Pro has CS5 and the new Microsoft Office on it which I don't want to lose.

So I'm wondering, how can I get everything from my macbook onto my macbook pro, without losing CS5 and Office 2011.

Also, I've just realised, my macbook currently has Office 2008 on it, so I don't want to transfer that over in case it covers the newer copy of Office on the Pro.

Thanks
    Alex

2. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

Office 2008 won't overwrite Office 2011.

Also if you simply transfer the contents of your user folder, that should not be an issue.
    Applications on the other hand can be tedious depending on the app. Personally I would simply start fresh in that regards since it can be a pain to move each app and its libraries etc...

3. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

I just thought, would it be possible to save CS5 and the new Office to a different external HD, import my Time machine backup to the pro, and then reimport CS5 and office?

4. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone help? I really need to know as soon as possible

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You can try to use the migration assistant on your new mac and plug in your old mac with a firewire cable or network connection. I don't know what all it handles though. I move everything over manually (basically, just the desktop, documents, downloads, keychain etc) to my new installation.

6. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

ya. Cross over for mac <-> mac connection, straight thru for mac <router>mac connection.

8. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that is ethernet, I suppose that'd be better than USB as it is quicker.

If I use Migration Assistant then, will it wipe and replace the HD of the new Macbook Pro or merge the two?

9. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

Im basically going to try and save a copy of CS5 and Office 2011 onto an external HD, and then import everything into the new mac using Migration assistant. If CS5 and Office 2011 don't work then I'll try and reinstall them from the HD.

Failing that I'll completely wipe the new Pro's HD and import everything on with time machine, and again try and copy CS5 and Office 2011 on from the External HD.
    Now I just need to find a spare ethernet cable. Why do I have 1 at home and 3 at Uni?!

So anyone else got any ideas on how to do this?

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You cannot copy the creative suite and office from the applications folder and have it work. The license files are not in the applications folder . Are you really unable to reinstall from the disk?

11. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I won't be able to reinstall from the disk. Thats why I need a way of transferring everything of mine over (and I mean everything) through either migration assistant, CCC, time machine or whatever, but still be able to retain Office and CS5.