Moving my iWork Apps into Folder on my Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jusacruiser, Apr 8, 2011.

1. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

I created an iWorks Folder and placed it on my dock.

I then tried to drag my iWorks apps into that folder. I can seem to move those apps to the iWork folder.

Any suggestions?

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Create the folder in your Applications folder and place your iWork Apps in it. Then drag that folder to the right side of the dock.

That should do it.

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

iWork installed from the retail box or the downloaded trial does put the three apps in a single iWork folder in Applications. If they are moved Software Update can't find them to determine if any updates are available. I don't know if that would work with the apps purchased from the Mac App Store. As a general rule, it's not a good idea to move applications from their installed locations. Those that do allow drag & drop installation into any folder are the exception.

A better way to organize your apps would be to create a folder some where, put aliases for the apps in there & then drag that folder to the Dock. I have a folder in my Dock of folders with aliases to applications organized by general function. I actually started with this back with OS 9 & the tabbed folders that could be collapsed at the bottom of the monitor.

4. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

I wish I saw your reply in time that said...."As a general rule, it's not a good idea to move applications from their installed locations."

To make a long story short, when I attempted to organize my apps, I almost lost my Pages app, and sort of screwed up the naming convention for Keynote.

Now my Keynote reads like this: "Keynote 18-21-33". How do I fix that so it just reads "Keynote".

Also, since I played around with the location of my iWork apps, how can I be sure that Software update can still find them? Is there a way to test that?

Thanks!

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I was having trouble with my Pages App as well, it would open and when it asked me what type of document I wanted to create, it freeze and crash when I selected it.

So I deleted the applications and reinstalled them. Doesn't really tell me what was wrong, but it fixed it.

(And I'm not a bad with computer, I work in the tech industry, but I figure the quickest and simplest solution is the best)