Moving my MS HTFS files to OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by baditkoff, Apr 21, 2009.

1. baditkoff macrumors member

Hi to all,
    Well I did it! I bought us a MBP and very much looking forward to more of an enjoyable way of life. We should be getting our system in a few days. In the interim, I have been converting all music to AAC format and copying them onto a HTFS formatted external drive. I read on MacRumors that OSX cannot write to the MS formatted disk. I only want to read (copy) the files onto my internal disk and reformat the USB disk to OSX supported format.

Is this possible or do I need to format the USB disk to FAT32 and do the whole thing again? OUCH!

Andy

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS X can read from NTFS (not HTFS) formatted volumes just fine, it just can't write to it without non-Apple software.
    NTFS-3G and MacFuse are used to write to NTFS under Mac OS X.

So, you'll have no problem copying the music from your NTFS formatted volume and later using Disk Utility to format it in HFS+.

3. baditkoff thread starter macrumors member

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Just have to ask.....why are you converting music to AAC?

-Kevin

5. baditkoff thread starter macrumors member

ACC was the format from the itune right-button pulldown menu. Is it a problem? Is there a better format?

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

No problem, just making sure you weren't thinking that you HAD to do AAC.

Are you re-ripping MP3's?

Also, more importantly would be checking the settings for the rip to AAC. You should be doing at least 256kbps.

-Kevin

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

This is a good question, since some people will re-rip MP3s as a different format, which basically just degrades quality in most cases. (Theoretically if you were ripping from 256 MP3 to 128 AAC you'd only lose a little quality and reduce filesizes by half, but transcoding like that just isn't a good idea at all.)

I would disagree about the 256Kbps minimum; depending on how good your ears are, how good your sound equipment is, and how much storage you've got available on your iPod, 256K can be overkill. For a lot of people even piddly 128 (it's an iTunes default) is good enough. On my sound equipment to my not-particularly-picky ears 160Kbps AAC sounds good, but I've bumped it up to 192 VBR just to be safe.

Of course, if you've got storage out the wazoo no harm in doing 256.

There are dozens of threads here and elsewhere discussing the relative quality of various bitrates and formats, but it's incredibly subjective depending on how good your ears are and what kind of sound hardware you have.

8. baditkoff thread starter macrumors member

I'm moving my wma files over to my soon to be MBP. I do own several creative lab zen players. I have searched but not found an application to interface these players to the new notebook. I may buy a itouch. Too soon to tell.

Andy